JOB TITLE: OUTGROWER MANAGER
REPORTS: TO CEO
SUPERVISES: FIELD TEAMS
POSITION CODE: KAMP 001
1. BACKGROUND KAMP
Group Limited was incorporated as a limited company on 21 August 2013 and commenced operations in 2016 and later set up a plant in Anaka in 2018. The company operates a livestock feed milling plant situated in Anaka town, Nwoya district, and a distribution center in Kisaasi, Kyanja in Kampala district. It specifically produces broiler feeds (starter, grower, and finisher); layer feeds (starter, grower, and finisher); pig feeds; goat feeds; rabbit feeds; and cattle feeds. The company currently purchases maize and soybean from a network of 2,000 smallholder farmers and some aggregators in Nwoya and its neighboring districts. There is a total of 19 farmer groups with a membership of 30 to 150 farmers. The company now seeks to enhance its out-grower model by growing the number of smallholder farmers to 4,000 by the third year and 6,000 by the fifth year. To achieve this ambitious growth, it seeks to hire an Outgrower Manager to manage its Outgrower model. The selected candidate will work to increase raw material production and supply, and ensure coordination, training, and registration extension support, of producers to ensure steady growth of the company supply chain; with a clear linkage between farmers and the company.
2. MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
To increase raw material production and supply, ensure coordination, training, and registration extension support, of producers to ensure steady growth of the company supply chain; with a clear linkage between farmers and the company.
3. MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develop a technical package to offer to farmers to enable them to supply to the company, based on agro-ecological and farmer organizational development realities
• Prepare activity plan, and work plan including, budget and timelines.
• Carry out profiling of farmers with the aim of strengthening farmer groups and developing farmer networks up to the village level. Determination of actual land available for agriculture in the agreed area and land available for both maize and soybean.
• Determine current output per acre for both maize and soybean and carry out activities that will increase farmer output per acre through implementing, training, and advising farmers on best agronomic practices, particularly in post-harvest and storage of grain.
• Sign contracts/ supply agreements with all producers interested in supplying Kamp Group
• Set up and manage demonstration sites, and collection centers and offer extension support.
• Work out the items to be provided by the company to farmers and the necessary arrangements to ensure an optimum supply of raw materials. These may include pesticides, fertilizers/manure, seeds, drying and postharvest equipment and training, soil texture and related crops suitable for each type, prevention of aflatoxin, storage and control of contamination
• Work out a mechanism to understand the structures of the existing groups; Watwero group and those supported by the Hunger project, with a view to establishing organizational and institutional gaps, which can be addressed in order to increase their capacity to supply to the company.
• Develop an out-grower management system to ensure the timely sharing of information. Particularly setting up farmer and field reporting systems.
• Increasing the network of smallholder farmers from 2,000 to 4,000 suppliers by the third year and to 6,000 by year 5 of the investment.
• Increasing purchases of grain from smallholder farmers from 960 mt to 5,500 mt by the third year of investment
• Any other duty assigned by the supervisor.
1. Registered new and existing farmers.
2. Enrollment of eligible farmers
3. Conducting diverse training for the enrolled farmers.
4. Updated and well-maintained database of existing farmers that tracks out-grower activities and related training
5. JOB REQUIREMENTS
Qualification: Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture or Agriculture extension
At least 3 years of extension work experience with rural farmers, agronomical practices, and any such related activities. Demonstrable experience in conducting training and carrying negotiations with farmer groups will be an added advantage
Good report writing skills, working well in rural settings, working well under pressure while adhering to strict reporting deadlines, and good interpersonal skills.
6. JOB DURATION
The job duration is 12 months and is renewable based on overall performance.
7. How to apply:
Receive emails for the latest jobs matching your search criteria