Cardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd. (Cardno) seeks a qualified Public-Private Dialogue and Tax Specialist for the USAID-funded Domestic Revenue Mobilization for Development (DRM4D) Acti vity in Uganda.
DRM4D aims to improve tax policy, administration, and compliance and enhance public-private dialogue on taxation to strengthen tax culture and increase domestic revenue mobilization (DRM) in Uganda. DRM4D interventions under the Activity will enhance predictability and fairness in the tax system, reduce the costs and burdens of tax compliance, and create platforms and opportunities for public-private dialogue. DRM4D will engage with key Government of Uganda institutions such as the Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development (MoFPED), the Uganda Revenue Authority (URA), the Ministry of Local Government (MoLG), and selected local governments. At the national level, entities will be equipped with tools and skills to conduct policy analysis, evaluate and communicate the impact of tax reforms, and formulate sound, predictable, and fair tax and non-tax revenue policies.
At the sub-national level, the Activity will support interventions to expand tax and non-tax revenue options for selected local governments. The private sector and civil society will also be engaged to enable their participation and contribution to the informed dialogue on taxation and to ensure that public input informs decision-making on the mobilization and use of public resources. The Specialist will also recommend and support efforts for more transparent, evidence-based, and participatory decision-making concerning public finances.
The Public-Private Dialogue and Tax Specialist will provide technical leadership and management of activities to improve the capacity and skills of non-governmental stakeholders to engage in and contribute to an informed dialogue with the government on the mobilization and use of domestic public resources. He/She will lead assistance, training, and support of civil society organizations, business associations, academia, and the media to achieve a thorough understanding of DRM, enabling evaluation, analysis, and advocacy for these groups to influence tax and fiscal policy for improved service delivery.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in the relevant field, such as economics, business, finance, public administration, public policy, or the law. A Master’s degree is preferred.
- Significant capacity-building experience in the areas of fiscal policy reforms and analysis.
- Experience working with the private sector, civil society, business associations, academia, and the media to improve tax-related advocacy.
- Experience providing opportunities for public-private dialogue and citizen engagement including advocacy for increased investment in service delivery.
- Experience working with and collaborating with development partners including USAID, DFID, and IMF.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and communication skills.
- Work experience in Uganda and/or East Africa.
Interested applicants should send their CV and Cover Letter to Chase.Toft @cardno.com with “DRM4D Public-Private Dialogue and Tax Specialist” in the Subject line. Applications will be received until November 30, 2021, at 5:00 pm.